Saturday, November 16, 2019

Forum Post - Week 5: Lynsay Addario Response


My impressions of the book is still more or less the same as when I read the prologue and first chapter. I still appreciate how Lynsey Addario’s writing manages to convey what it's like being in the regions she’s worked in. I also feel that in a broad sense, her journey through life as a photojournalist provides a lot of insight as to the do’s and don’t of breaking into the field. One practical lesson in particular stands out in hindsight: At first, I was confused as to why she kept talking about carrying several cameras at once. It just seemed impractical to me at the time. But, several of my recent photo projects have called for switching between different lenses as quickly as possible, and eventually I realized that being able to just switch to a second camera with a different lens would probably save a lot of time.

One other thing I’ve admired was her efforts to humanize the people living in Pakistan and Afghanistan. I agreed wholeheartedly with her desire to try and dispel the stereotyping common to news media. That part of the book did also give me a slight point of contention, however. On page 72, she wrote, “In Pakistan I learned quickly to tuck away my own political beliefs while I worked and to act as a messenger and conduit of ideas for the people I photographed.” Now, while I do understand where she’s coming from there, and I do agree to a point, that line was only a few paragraphs after the part where she wrote about Pakistani women openly praising the 9/11 attacks. I believe my reaction was, “Basic human decency is not a political belief.” That whole part of the book left me questioning my ability to be objective as a journalist; Innocent people getting hurt because of someone’s personal beliefs is kind of a big moral hot button for me; Hearing someone PRAISE said innocent people being killed, doubly so.

Another reason why I don’t think I’m cut out for the kind of journalism she works is the toll it took on her social life. I always thought being a journalist would be a great chance to see the world, learn about other people and cultures, and all that. Did not stop and consider the difficulty it would cause when it comes to maintaining relationships with people. Though, I’ve never had a particularly robust social life. Not to mention that staying in touch with people is a lot easier nowadays thanks to Facebook and Skype. Still, her difficulties with personal intimacy DO seem like something to keep in mind. I’ll be looking out for any ways she figures out to find a balance with her work and personal lives later in the book.

Looking over the photos provided in the book, I think that they were as effective as Addario’s writing at conveying what it was like being at the time and place each was taken. Shots of refugees, of women going about their daily lives, people celebrating; each one conveyed its intended point without feeling fake or artificial. I think the one that left the biggest impact with me would be the shot of a man leaning against a wall while looking over bodies exhumed from a mass grave. The shot subtly conveys his emotional reaction without even needing to show his face. Like most of her pictures, I can immediately tell what’s going on in it without needing a caption.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Space Force's First Season Struggles to Get Off the Ground

Courtesy: Netflix General Mark Naird  wanted to run the air force, but instead he got stuck in an office. Such is the fate of just about eve...